BEFORE YOU READ: I’m not sure why the quotation marks are backwards, but it really bothers me and I don’t know how to fix it. Sorry!
I don’t know how many people have experienced the long distance relationship thing, but let me just say that it’s kind of hard. I mean, it’s fun and I like the person, but him being far away kind of stinks. And what’s a girl to do when she gets upset? Make a playlist!
So, if you’re stuck in a long distance thing, here are some songs you should consider listening to.
1. “Dance With Me Baby”- Ben Rector. I don’t know if this song is actually about a long distance relationship, but it just kind of makes me want to cry. Plus, it kind of implies the long distance thing. Like the first line, “Do I leave for California when my love is here behind in Tennessee?”
2. “Set Fire to the Third Bar”- Snow Patrol. The comments on youtube underneath this video make me sad. And also depressed about how long distance relationships are super hard. “Miles from where you are, I lay down on the cold ground. I pray that something picks me up and sets me down in your warm arms.”
3. “Next to You”- The Police. Yeah. I went there. “I can’t stand it for another day when you live so many miles away. Nothing here is gonna make me stay. You took me over, let me find a way.”
4. “Many the Miles”- Sara Bareilles. This song is way better than “Love Song” ever was. Just saying. “How far do I have to go to get to you? Many the miles. Oh, send me the miles and I’ll be happy too.”
5. “Enchanted”- Taylor Swift. Don’t laugh. This song is great for that first encounter when everything’s perfect. You’ve just met this guy. You stalk him on facebook. You never know when you’ll see him again. “Please don’t be in love with someone else, please don’t have somebody waiting on you.”
6. “Transatlanticism”- Death Cab for Cutie. This song might be the best. It’s so pretty and sad and makes me want to cry. Be prepared. “I need you so much closer. So come on, come on.”
7. “To Be Alone With You”- Sufjan Stevens. Sad. Pretty. Hopeful. Those are all of the thoughts running through my head when I hear this song. Also, I think it might be about Jesus, so, uh, double the meaning. “I’d swim across Lake Michigan, I’d sell my shoes, I’d give my body to be back again in the rest of the room. To be alone with you.”
8. “Rocket Man”- Elton John. Okay, he may be gay, but he still knows about love. Plus, we both like boys. I feel such a connection to him now. “And I think its gonna be a long long time till touch down brings me round again to find I’m not the man they think I am at home.”
There you go. Eight songs to listen to when he hasn’t texted you in a while. Or you miss his face. Or whatever.
Here’s to dreaming maybe he’s on his way to you. As a surprise.